Sunday, April 18, 2010

Border Grill (Santa Monica, CA) - Restaurant Reviews (No.1)

My first restaurant review here ; Border Grill - Santa Monica, CA.
You can see its restaurant review on Yelp, but I wanna use here for extra stuff I didn't write there. I'm still trying to figure out how I can make this interesting. At least I decide to write reviews for only certain restaurants I wanna talk about more - instead of writing reviews of ALL the restaurants I tried on Yelp. We'll see.

Why did I pick this place first?! "Border Grill" (Santa Monica, CA) is my recent "WOW" restaurant that I was so excited to write its restaurant review. I go to eat at restaurants a lot. But it's hard to find 4 or 5 star places for me - I'm very picky in a good way when it comes to food. I do think I'm easily amused IF the foods were very yummy :) This place certainly made me think these foods were so great!! So I picked this place for my memorable first place for review here.

This place claims to offer modern Mexican food. I do think it's more like the mixture of Mexican and Latin foods in modern way. You don't see those kind of "twist" in real Mexican foods. I do love authentic Mexican foods that MEXICAN cook - so don't worry, I know what I'm talking about :)

If I think of "Latin foods", maize-based dishes (tortillas, tamales, pupusas), varied "Salsas" and condiments (pico de gallo, guacamole,  mole) would come up in my mind. All the dishes here have those basic with their own twists. Each dish is FULL of flavors by emphasizing the tastes of the ingredients. Unlike real Mexican foods, each dish is pretty light. (I'm not talking about portion; their portion for appetizer is perfect and pretty generous for entrĂ©e.) I'm Japanese who was born in Japan. We Japanese cook and enjoy foods in that way - appreciating and enhancing the flavors of the ingredients. I was so amazed how perfectly each item was cooked and its flavors. I haven't seen the restaurant that offers such a sensation for me these days. I did enjoy all the dishes I had there except for turkey tostada. (It was kinda bland..)

I'm known to a tough restaurant critic on YelpBorder Grill (Santa Monica, CA) is definitely my favorite restaurant that is very appropriate for my first restaurant review here. Trust me - you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment