Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tips (No.1): Tips for Cutting Hot Peppers - Remedy from burning hands!

Tips for cutting hot peppers! I marinaded beef with very spicy sauce (tons of red chili peppers and Serrano) with a single latex glove yesterday. Right after I touched the marinade sauce, my hands were burning !! Gosh, literally burning :( I have a weird allergy for a cardboard. I don't always have the allergic reaction to all of card boards, it happens sometimes. I worry that I got another allergy, so I asked chefs I work with about the allergic reaction and how to fix the burning from touching hot peppers. They told me about "Capsicum" but neither of them knew how to fix it. So I had to research it.

I know MILK can cut the heat when you eat very spicy foods. But does it work as "tip for cutting hot peppers" as well? When I had a "Russian Rulette roll", which contain all kinds of hotness, from "Tabento?", which is my favorite Sushi joint in Costa Mesa, I had to drink milk at Sushi Counter!!! It worked :)

The following is what I learned about:
"Capsaicin"(methyl vanillyl nonenamide), is a lipophilic chemical in the hot peppers responsible for the heat when you taste food with hot peppers and when you cut hot peppers.

Tip No.1 - When you cut hot peppers, wear rubber gloves. The oil can seep through latex gloves, so wear thick ones or use multiple gloves.
Tip No.2 - Do Not rub them whatever you do.
Tip No. 3 - Wash your hands thoroughly with dish soap or milk. Take an over the counter pain killer as directed.
Tip No. 4 - Apply an ointment such as aloe vera or hydro cortisone cream.
Tip No. 5 - Put on gloves to clean the area where you cut the peppers.

Other tips I found:
- Chlorine Bleach. It's hard to rinse it off though, it neutralizes capsicum. Not recommended for eyes.
- Your hair. The oil in the hair helps neutralize the heat. It sounds like capsicum is oil based - that is why water doesn't seem to offer much relief.
- WD-40. It's a widely available water displacing spray. Do you have it at your home?
- Alcohol products. It cuts the oil, then follow that with a lotion or ointment.
- Benedryl. It can be (and might be) an allergic reaction.

I learn things everyday - tips for cutting hot peppers. I hope you enjoy what I do as well.
If you want to see my review of "Tabento?" or other reviews, go to my Yelp page.

1 comment: