Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Calpico - My Favorite Japanese Food (No.2)


Calpico - my favorite Japanese food (No.2) - drink.

It's a beverage concentrate which tastes like some sort of yogurt drink. It is called "Calpico" here. But its "original" name is "Calpis" - it's only known as "Calpis" in Japan. But they had to change it to "Calpico" here because "Calpis" sounded like "Cow Piss" in English. lol. I don't hear it so personally, but I'm not a native English speaker...

At first, they just sold the syrup (concentrate) with bottle. Little me (when I was a kid) was so excited when my mom asked me to buy the bottle at supermarket - because it was my favorite Japanese drink :) It still reminds me of nostalgic memories when I was a kid. You make the "Calpis" by diluting it with water. Recommended water and Calpis ratio is 4:1. You can change the ratio up to your preference. Some people prefer 3:1 ratio, which is sweeter "Calpico". I prefer a little more water ratio than 4:1 just because it's still too sweet for me. Now they sell not only the syrup but also the "Calpis" (no need diluting) in the can now. I think it's a little too thin for me in the can. They must want to make more profit out of little use of the syrup, right?! lol.

Now there are all kinds of flavors - strawberry, mango, lychee, and aloe etc. But I love the original syrup.  The Japanese love "Seasonal" item, which you can get it only for a short period of time. They love the words "limited", "seasonal" and "special". This seasonal calpico on this picture is made by the "thicker milk" from Hokkaido (Northern part of Japan. The milk there have more fat content with better quality (I guess), which makes its taste sweeter and more flavorful than ordinary milk). It's fun to see special flavors sometimes.

I prefer to use the syrup on the top of my shaved ice as it is. I also love my "Strawberry Milk Calpico" shaved ice (Calpico, condensed milk, and smashed fresh strawberries). You can use it whatever you like. I hope the original keeps staying in the market forever.. It seems to stay strong in the crazy Japanese food market. It'll be my favorite Japanese food - drink - forever.

I'll keep introducing my favorite Japanese foods from drinks to anything - you name it!

1 comment:

  1. I used to love this stuff while in Japan and yes, it's called "Cow Piss" there! :P

    Good blog post... keep um coming. :)

    ReplyDelete